Conservation areas

Carrying out works in a conservation area

The main purpose of conservation area designation is to acknowledge the special character of an area. This influences the way in which the council, as the local planning authority, deals with planning applications that may affect the area.

Within conservation areas, permitted development rights are restricted. This means that applications for planning permission are required for certain types of work that would not normally need consent. Before commencing any work within a conservation area, property owners, occupiers and other interested parties should determine whether planning permission is required for a proposal.

Further information:

Permitted development rights may have also been removed by an Article 4 direction or via a planning condition. To ascertain whether your permitted development rights have been removed via a planning condition, use the council’s permitted development rights enquiry form or contact the Conservation Officer.

Listed below are examples of types of development within a conservation area that require applications for planning permission. Please bear in mind that this list is not exhaustive. 

  • Demolition of all, and in some cases part, of any building, gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure
  • Cladding any part of the outside of a building with materials such as stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles
  • Any two-storey extension
  • An extension that extends beyond the side wall of a building
  • The erection of an outbuilding between the side wall and boundary of an existing building
  • Any enlargement or extension to a roof, such as the addition of a dormer window
  • Positioning a satellite dish on a wall, roof or chimney that faces a public highway
  • Installing solar panels on the wall of a domestic property that faces a public highway, and on the wall or roof slope of a non-domestic property that faces a public highway
  • The installation of a flue, chimney or soil and vent pipe if it would face onto a public highway and is on the front or side of the building
  • Advertisements and shop fronts
  • Trees within conservation areas with stem diameters of 75mm or greater, measured at 1.5m above ground are protected. Anyone wishing to work on these trees must normally give six weeks written notice to the local planning authority. For more information view trees in a conservation area

If you live in a conservation area, you should make sure that any changes you make to your property through repairs, maintenance or alterations, are in keeping with the character of the building and the area. Advice on best practice before considering making changes to your property in a conservation area is contained within:

Contact the Conservation Officer for advice on new development, alterations, repairs and the sourcing of materials, craftsmen and specialists.

Last updated: ‎04/01/2024 11:24