Hinckley War Memorial
Hinckley War Memorial was erected in 1921 on part of the Hinckley Castle site. The foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1921 and unveiled and dedicated on 20 May 1922. The memorial comprises a stone wall with lower balustrade reached by a wide flight of steps. A row of panels with an inscribed central stone cross is flanked by bronze panels recording the names of the fallen in the Great War. A band below states
'The names of those who gave their lives in the great war, while the legend 'their name liveth for ever more'
is inscribed above.
The memorial is overseen by a statue of the Angel of Mercy. The statue was positioned so that at the eleventh hour of the eleventh month, the shadow of the angel's outstretched arms falls across the listed names.
In 1924 the Garden of Remembrance was created. Additional bronze panels at the foot of the wall were added on 11 November 1951, recording names of those who died in the Second World War.
Further bronze plaques listing the names of local servicemen and women lost in more recent conflicts have been added in the past decade.
Last updated: 30/03/2011 15:25