Information requests - ask for a review

What you need to do

If you are unhappy with an information request response you receive, want to ask for a review or to put in a complaint please note the following process and guidance.

Internal reviews can be processed on the following pieces of legislation:

  • Data Protection Act 2018
  • Freedom of Information Act 2000
  • Environmental Information Regulations 2004

This page is only relating to information requests. Should you wish to complain about a service you have received or a councillor please visit how to make a complaint

Appeals and complaints must be made in writing, either manually or by email and must contain:

  • Sufficient details of why you are unhappy with our decision or processes used
  • What you require to resolve it
  • A full contact address

These appeals and complaints should then be posted to:

The Data Protection Officer
Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
Hinckley Hub 
LE10 0FR

The following points should be noted before submitting your review request:

  • Internal reviews or complaints will not be considered in parallel to any other action being taken by the complainant, either within our organisation or by using any other independent means (for example, taking court action, complaining to the Information Commissioner or complaining to the Local Government Ombudsman)
  • Should we become aware that any such action has been started whilst in parallel to the use of this procedure, then we will suspend this process until the results of the other action are clear and ratified
  • Please note we cannot process any reviews or complaints where separate means of redress, either internal or external to us, are being employed until these activities have been fully exhausted. You should re-submit your review or complaint when this is the case.
  • This is a single stage process, once a decision has been reached you will be notified of the decision and given the reasons for it. We will not take any further action on the matter
  • If you are dissatisfied by the outcome, you can then ask the Information Commissioner to review the decision by detailing the complaint to:

The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Last updated: 21/01/2023 09:59