Facility to pay online unavailable

If you urgently need to make a payment for council tax, rents, business rates and overpayments of housing benefit, please call the touch tone line on 01455 619617. Sorry for any inconvenience.

House swap (mutual exchange)

How to swap your council house with another tenant

If you are a secure council or housing association tenant then you have the right to exchange your tenancy with another council or housing association tenant (subject to your landlord's consent).

A mutual exchange is where the parties are existing tenants wanting to swap with each other. This differs from a housing transfer where a person is waiting on the housing register to move into a vacant property.

To register your details or look for a swap partner go to the home swapper website

What to do once you have found a swap partner

You will need to write for written consent from your landlord before you move.

In order to do this, all parties will need to complete a housing application form (if you are not already on the housing register) and a mutual exchange form.

If you are swapping with a tenant from another landlord then you will need to contact their landlord and they will send you the appropriate forms.

The landlords will then consider your request and do any relevant checks on you and the property. Important: until you have the consent of all the relevant landlords, you will not be able to go ahead with the exchange. Your landlord has 42 days to consider this request.

For more information please contact Zoe Hooper, Housing Support Officer, on 01455 238141.

Last updated: 09/03/2017 14:42