House swap (mutual exchange)

What to do once you have found a swap partner

You will need written consent from your landlord before you move. In order to do this, all parties must complete a mutual exchange form.

If you are swapping with a tenant from another landlord, then you will need to contact their landlord and they will send you the appropriate forms.

How to apply

Once you have found a swap partner, you can apply to swap your council house, tell us:

  • Details of your current tenancy:
    • Your name (joint tenant's name, if applicable)
    • Date of birth (for each tenant)
    • Address
    • Your email address and telephone number (joint tenant's contact details, if applicable) 
  • Details of who you would like to exchange tenancies with:
    • Name of each tenant
    • Address
    • Contact details (optional)

Apply for a mutual exchange

Alternatively, complete our contact form to request a paper application form which you can complete and return to us.

What happens next?

The landlords will then consider your request and do any relevant checks on you and the property. Important: until you have the consent of all the relevant landlords, you will not be able to go ahead with the exchange. Your landlord has 42 days to consider this request.

Last updated: ‎22/03/2023 12:18