Council tax appeals

Council tax banding appeals

You can appeal against your council tax band where there has been a material increase or reduction in the value of your home (dwelling's value). Your property may be revalued and put in a different band if:

  • You start or stop using part of your home to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • You become the taxpayer in respect of a home for the first time (any appeal must be made within six months of the date you occupy your new property but, if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a valuation tribunal, it cannot be made again)
  • A material increase in value may result from building, engineering or other work carried out on the property. In these cases, revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing will usually be the new owner or resident
  • A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the property, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the property suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible

How to appeal

All appeals should be made to the Valuation Office Agency (GOV.UK)

  • Tel: 03000 501501 
  • Fax No: 03000 505145

Appeals against council tax banding should not be made to the council.

Last updated: 22/01/2024 12:12