History of Billa Barra Hill
The name of the hill is thought to be a corruption of the word "barrow," meaning burial ground. This is thought to be linked to stories of a Saxon battle on the adjacent land with the dead buried on the hill. However, any physical evidence would have been destroyed at the on-set of quarrying.
Historically, quarrying took place at the site until the 1950's when one of the quarries was used as a landfill site. The rest of the site was grazed under licence in the late 1970's to early 1980's.
During the 1990's, Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council purchased the site with grant aid from the National Forest Company and Leicestershire County Council as part of the National Forest.
Last updated: 22/01/2019 16:05