Sunday 21 July

Due to maintenance, the facility to pay online and our online application forms where we take a payment will be unavailable for two hours from 4:30am to 6:30am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015


The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 was introduced in March 2015 and was amended by the Housing and Planning Act 2016 and the Levelling Up and Regeneration Act 2023. This act places a duty on local authorities to keep a register of individuals and associations of individuals who wish to acquire serviced plots of land to bring forward self-build and custom house-building projects.

To enable us to incorporate the need for such plots into the local plan process, and to allocate sufficient land to enable people to build their own homes, the council will be keeping a register of those who wish to build their own homes.


To apply to be on the register as an individual or as a member of an association of individuals, you must be:

  • Aged 18 or older
  • A British citizen, a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) (GOV.UK), other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council currently has no local connection tests or fees.

If you are seeking an unserviced plot, you are not eligible for the register. If you submit a registration form for an unserviced plot, the council will include you for reference only and you will not be included as part of the overall figures.

If you wish to register as an association of individuals when applying to the register, you must appoint a lead contact. This is for the purposes of correspondence between the association and the council. 

The self-build and custom housebuilding register

There are currently 48 individuals on the register. There are currently no formal associations of individuals on the register. 

If you wish to see the split of these individuals across the different base periods, please view the summary of information under the following monitoring position page.

At the end of each base period, the council has three years in which to permit an equivalent number of plots of land, which are suitable for self-build or custom housebuilding, as there are for entries for that base period.

If the council is informed of available land for sale that may be suitable for self-build or custom housebuilding serviced plots within the authority's area, individuals and associations of individuals on the register will be notified. 

What to do next

If you are interested in building your own home, but are unable to find sufficient land to do so, please complete our self-build registration form

Alternatively, you can download, print and complete the self-build registration form (DOCX)

Return it to the Planning Policy Team via:

  • The Planning Policy contact form
  • The following address:
    Planning Policy Team
    Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council
    Hinckley Hub
    Rugby Road
    Leicestershire LE10 0FR

If you are an eligible applicant, you will then be added to our self-build and custom housebuilding register.

Last updated: 08/07/2024 12:35