Who can apply for right to buy?

Are you entitled to apply?

You may be eligible for a right to buy discount if:

  • You are a council tenant or you were a council tenant when your home was transferred to your current landlord
  • You have been a tenant for at least three years
  • You do not live in sheltered housing or other housing particularly suitable for elderly or disabled people
  • Your home is not due to be demolished
  • You do not have any legal problems with debt
  • You do not have any outstanding possession orders

If none of the above apply to you, then you are likely to to be eligible, but your landlord would need to confirm this.

You can make a joint application so that if you are eligible you may be able to buy your home with:

  • Someone who shares your tenancy
  • Your spouse or civil partner
  • Up to three family members who have lived with you for the past 12 months. They don't have to be on your tenancy agreement, but it must be their main home

Visit right to buy your council house (GOV.UK) for more detailed information on your right to buy.

To apply you will need to complete a Right To Buy application form (RTB1) and provide identity/proof of residency documents to support your application.

The RTB1 form can be completed by visiting applying: RTB1 application form (GOV.UK) or can is available from the council.

Last updated: 27/11/2023 12:25