Voting from abroad


About voting from abroad

If you are a British citizen living abroad, you are entitled to vote in UK Parliamentary elections, regardless of how long you have been outside the UK.

As a British citizen, which includes eligible Irish citizens and citizens of Crown Dependencies, you may register as overseas voter if you now live abroad, providing one of the following applies:

  • You were previously registered to vote in the UK, either before you left the UK or as an overseas voter
  • You have previously lived in the UK

How to apply

To register as an ‘overseas elector’, you need to complete an application form. The easiest way to do this is online (GOV.UK)

How to vote

It is essential that overseas voters apply to vote by post or by proxy: Apply for a postal vote (GOV.UK)

Last updated: 10/05/2024 17:49