Some online services will be unavailable this Sunday, 10am to 12 noon.List of services
Hinckley Cemetery opened in 1858 consisting of just 3.5 acres. The grounds were laid out by a Mr Marriot from Nuneaton.
The two chapels were erected in the centre of the grounds. A Mr Orchard, from Banbury, built these in Gothic style at a cost of £900. The total cost of the cemetery was £2,500, which was borrowed by local commissioners.
The location near the small brick wall at the front of the cemetery is believed to be an area of a communal grave where victims of typhus or similar epidemic were buried in the early part of the 19th century.
From the initial 3.5 acres, this was extended to five acres in 1896. In 1920 the stone wall decoration at the back of the altar (this is called a 'reredos') were removed from St. Mary’s church in Hinckley and re-erected behind the altar in the cemetery chapel. The large brass cross in the chapel also came from St. Mary’s at the same time.
In the 1940s, the cemetery was extended again to 14.5 acres. In 2009 a further five acres was added.
For the latest developments to the cemetery please visit our green burial pages.
Last updated: 24/01/2020 16:04