How to request information as a public authority

Who can request the release of information

Organisations that have a crime prevention, law enforcement or tax collection function may require personal information held by us to prevent or detect a crime, apprehend or prosecute an offender, or for taxation and benefit purposes.

These organisations can submit requests, including:

  • Police
  • HM Revenue and Customs
  • Child Support Agency
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Official receiver
  • Solicitors or another acting on your client's behalf
  • Solicitor acting on your client's behalf, but asking for another’s data
  • Other local councils or public bodies, acting under authorised powers

We may be able to release this information under schedule 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018. There is no obligation on us to do so and even if the exemption applies we may decide that we will not release any information.

If we have genuine concerns about releasing any personal information (for example, because we think it has other legal obligations such as the information being confidential) then we may ask for a court order requiring release of the information.

How to make a request

Organisations wishing to request disclosure of personal information held by us must complete the request for disclosure of personal data form.

Please read the guidance notes before completing the form

You can submit your request using our online form: 

Submit your request online

This guidance is designed to help you complete the form. The purpose of the form is to enable us to respond to requests for the disclosure of personal data by providing the necessary information to locate the data in question. It also allows us to make an informed decision concerning the request for release of the information.

Last updated: ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2019‎ ‎11‎:‎27‎