Advice for homeowners

As a homeowner, follow the guidance below

Extending or carrying out work on your home

View the Planning Portal interactive guide ( to find out whether you require planning permission.

You can also use our set of self assessment forms to assess whether you require planning permission for your proposed development. If you answer 'yes' to any of the questions in the forms, or do not comply with any conditions, then you will need to make a planning application.

You should complete a self assessment form, even if you are just replacing an extension or outbuilding and base your answers on the proposed works taking place.

You are also advised to check whether:

If you want written confirmation that planning permission is not required, refer to Lawful development certificates (GOV.UK) for more information.

If you wish to make an application for a certificate of lawful proposed development, this can be done through the Planning Portal forms (

You may also require building regulations consent for the works you are proposing. Please visit Leicestershire Building Control Partnership ( for further guidance.

We also offer pre-application advice

Last updated: 20/02/2024 11:29:24