Students and under 18s

Guidance notes

Qualifying for a student discount or exemption

The student must be one of the following:

  1. A foreign language assistant who is registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges whilst under a period of appointment as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational institution in Great Britain
  2. Undertaking a full-time course of education:
    1. The course must last for at least one academic year or one calendar year
    2. The student must attend for periods for at least 24 weeks in each academic or calendar year
    3. The course must require the student to undertake an average 21 hours of study per week which include private study, tuition and work experience
  3. A person who is under 20 years old who is not undertaking a full-time course outlined above, but is on a course for more than 12 hours per week. The course must:
    1. Last for more than three calendar months
    2. Not be a course of higher education
    3. Not be a correspondence course
    4. Not be undertaken as a consequence of an office of employment
    5. Principally be carried out between 8am and 5:30pm

What reduction will I receive?

Your reduction in your council tax bill depends on the number of people who are eligible to pay council tax (liable adults) who live in your property. For example:

  • If there are two or more adults and one student: there is no discount in your council tax bill
  • If there is one adult and one student: there is a 25% discount in your council tax bill
  • If there is one student: there is a full exemption from council tax. This exemption is applicable if the household contains more than one qualifying student

Who should complete the application form?

Each person named on the bill.    

What additional information do I need to supply with my application form?

A valid student certificate which can be obtained from the academic office at the college/university the student is attending.

Please note we cannot accept offers of places at college/university or information from the student loan company.

What should I do about paying my council tax before my application has been assessed?

The bills previously issued to you must be regarded as correct and due for payment as requested.

What should I do if the student’s course comes to an end?

Notify us, the council tax billing authority, within 21 days of the change occurring.

When will my discount or exemption start?

If you qualify for a student discount or exemption, your reduction in your council tax bill will start from the date the student starts their course.


We periodically review all our discounts.

What should I do if my application is rejected?

You may appeal against our decision by writing to us at:
The Leicestershire Partnership
Benefits Section
PO Box 10004
LE10 9EJ

Or complete our council tax contact form

If this is unsuccessful you will be advised as to how you can make a formal appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service

Further information

If you have any other queries regarding this discount please complete our council tax contact form or telephone us on 01455 23814.

Last updated: ‎22/01/2024 16:35