Road closure for street play
A road closure for street play is a temporary road closure which will close your road to through traffic for up to three hours as often as once a week for children to play out in the street (street play session).
What is street play?
Street play is a new initiative in Hinckley and is part of a national scheme endorsed by Play England. A road closure for street play gives children and young people the chance to play safely in their street without danger from traffic, while allowing neighbours to get to know each other.
The street play vision is for every child to have the freedom to regularly play actively and independently near their own front door, contributing to a healthy lifestyle and a safer community.
How to organise a road closure for street play
You must apply at least eight weeks before your street play session.
To apply tell us:
- Your details: name, address, telephone number, email address
- Name of road(s)
- Time and frequency of road closure
- Exact location of the closure
- Site plan/map of road closure (if possible)
- Copy of any neighbour consultation letter
- Diversions/signs you will put up
Please note that the fee for obtaining a road closure for street play has been waived. You will not need to pay for the order.
What happens next?
Once your application has been received, we will contact other agencies on your behalf such as the highways department of the County Council, the police and the fire service. Those agencies will reply to us indicating whether or not they support your application. Where your application is supported, we, Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council will make an Order that the road will be closed for a period of your street play session.
- How to make your street a place to play (playingout.net)
- More about street parties and public events
- Other local events: organising your event
Last updated: 04/02/2022 16:07