Street play and street parties

Street parties and public events

Street parties are ‘get togethers’ arranged by residents for their neighbours. The main differences between a street party and public events are below.

Street parties:

  • Are for residents/neighbours only
  • Are advertised only to residents
  • Are in a quiet residential road or street
  • Are self-organised
  • Do not normally require insurance, but is it recommended, particularly where a road closure is required
  • Do not normally need a formal risk assessment, but one may be requested where a road closure is required
  • Do not normally require licences if music is incidental and no selling of alcohol is involved*

Public events:

  • Can be attended by anyone
  • Are advertised widely (such as newspapers)
  • Are held in buildings, parks, for example
  • Are professionally organised
  • Require insurance
  • Require a risk assessment
  • Usually require a licence

How to organise a street party

Organising small, private street parties is very simple and generally does not include activities that need a licence, such as selling alcohol or providing certain types of entertainment.

*If you want to have a pay bar or intend to provide entertainment to the wider public, or charge to raise money for your event, you will need a temporary event notice which is a type of temporary licence.

Similarly, larger public events attracting more people will require a different process: please visit events buddy - help arranging your event

If you would like to hold a street party, you may need to apply for a road closure to ensure that traffic does not interfere with your street party. If you are planning on obstructing the road or pavement with tables, chairs or people, then you will need to ensure that the road is closed to traffic.

Further information

For more information on applying for a road closure or for an application form, please contact Rebecca Owen on 01455 255879 or complete our democratic support contact form

Last updated:08/11/2023 11:02