Events Buddy - help arranging your event

About the Events Buddy

This Events Buddy is a comprehensive document which provides information for all community groups, organisations and parish and town councils within the borough, who wish to arrange outdoor events on parks, highways or other public spaces.

What the Events Buddy provides

The Events Buddy provides guidance for all stages of planning and organising your event safely, whilst taking into account the exact nature and size of your event.

This guidance will be of real benefit to you as an event organiser, helping to ensure events are run successfully, and that residents and visitors to Hinckley and Bosworth have the opportunity to access high quality events.

Topics covered include:

  • Licensing
  • Ambulance and first aid
  • Event and traffic management
  • Environmental impact
  • Information and welfare
  • Stewards
  • Safeguarding
  • Procedure for lost children
  • Risk assessments
  • Checklists
  • Key contacts

What you need to do

As an event organiser, you are responsible for determining what you need to adopt from the Events Buddy to make your event successful, and what isn't relevant to your event.

The only mandatory requirement is for you to provide Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council with an event notification form if your event meets one of the following criteria:

  • More than 500 people
  • Have a VIP or military presence
  • Has a highway or community impact

This event notification form will be forwarded to the event safety group so they can be made aware of your event. We will then let you know what permissions and licences you may need to apply for.

Complete the events notification form

When we receive your event notification

We will forward it to the event safety group so that they can be made aware of your event. We will then let you know what permissions and licences you need to apply for and it will prompt you to consider the key areas involved in running your event.

Two children
Tug of war team

Temporary event notice (TEN)

You'll need to apply for a TEN where your event will have a maximum of 499 in attendance and any of the following apply:

  • You want to have a pay bar
  • You  intend to provide entertainment to the wider public
  • You intend to charge to raise money for your event

This is a notice to Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council and the police that you are planning to have an event. Generally, the police will only object to a TEN on the grounds of crime and/or disorder.

A minimum of 10 working days' notice prior to the event taking place is required by the council and police, however we recommend applying one month prior to the event to avoid disappointment.

Apply for a TEN

Regular events

If your event is to be held on a regular or annual basis and will include the sale of alcohol or regulated entertainment, you could apply for a premises licence. If you wish to ask for advice on this please contact Licensing

Children pulling rope
pan of food

Environmental requests for vendors:

  • No plastic straws
  • Use recyclable plates/bowls and cutlery
  • No black plastic
  • Vendors are to take away with them their own generated waste please

At our events, there is always recycling bins as well as general waste bins available. When purchasing any products or materials for events, we consider the impact on the environment: items will be eco-friendly and re-useable where possible and we will not purchase any black plastic or items that cannot be recycled or re-used.

More about our climate change strategy

Get your copy of the Events Buddy

Request the Events Buddy

Contact us

For further information, contact: Cat Stilling, Events Co-ordinator: