Council house tenancy agreements

Different tenancy types

We have three types of tenancy agreement: introductory, secure and demoted.

Introductory tenancies

An introductory tenancy lasts for a period of twelve months, although we can extend it by a further six months if we have concerns that you are in breach of your tenancy conditions.

By law, during your introductory tenancy you will not have the same rights as a secure tenant. You cannot:

  • Apply for the right to buy your property
  • Apply for a move to another landlord
  • Sub-let your property
  • Make a structural change to your property
  • Apply to exchange your property 

You will automatically become a secure tenant at the end of the introductory period, unless the council has already given you a notice to quit or your tenancy has been extended.

If the council wants to evict you after this period, we will follow the rules for the eviction of secure council tenants.

Not all new tenants are introductory tenants. If you are not sure what type of tenancy you have, contact the Tenancy Management Team.

Secure tenancies

If you are transferring from a secure tenancy or an assured tenancy of a registered social landlord, or if you have successfully completed a twelve-month introductory tenancy, you will become a secure tenant. Being a secure tenant gives you additional rights that are not enjoyed by introductory tenants. For example, you can apply to buy your property through the right to buy scheme or apply to exchange your property.

Demoted tenancies

Demoted tenancies are created by the courts where a secure tenant has behaved anti-socially. A demoted tenancy can be used as an alternative to eviction and replaces your secure tenancy, making it easier for us to evict you without having to establish grounds for possession. A demoted tenancy reduces your rights to that similar to an introductory tenancy.

Last updated: ‎14/11/2023 11:50