Scrap metal collector's licence

Guidance notes

These guidance notes will help you when you apply for a scrap metal collector's licence.

How we use your information

The council must share some of these details with the police, Environment Agency, or Natural Resources Wales when checking whether the applicant is a suitable person to hold a licence. Some of the information will also be displayed on a public register.

If you do not agree to this use of your information, then you should not complete the application form. If you are in any doubt about what this section means, then speak to your council’s licensing team.

Type of licence

All applicants must tell us which licence they are applying for, how you are applying (as an individual, company or a partnership) and whether you are making a new application or renewing an existing application.

Collector's licence

Please note that a collector’s licence allows you to travel within our borough, the borough of Hinckley and Bosworth, to collect scrap metal. You may not take this metal back to a site that you run within the council area in order to sell it.

Site licence

A site licence permits you to buy and sell scrap metal from a fixed location within our borough, the borough of Hinckley and Bosworth.

Permits, registrations and licences in force

In this section, we ask you to confirm if you hold other environmental permits or licences or if you hold any exemptions. Please make sure you include your existing permit or licence number so that we can check this against the national register.

Please note in order to carry on your business you may need to hold other environmental permits or licences. For example, if you carry waste as part of your business it is a legal requirement to register as a waste carrier. This includes transporting waste while travelling from job to job, to a storage place for disposal later, or to a waste disposal company or waste site.

To register or for more information on waste carriers (GOV.UK) or telephone: 03708 506506

Collector’s licence

In this section, we are asking for details of the person who will hold the scrap metal collector's licence. We also need the basic disclosure certificate for the licence holder. This can be uploaded within the online application, or you can provide this to us by post. Please note your application may be delayed or rejected if this is not provided.


The Home Office has decided that you need to tell the council if you have been convicted of certain crimes. Possessing a conviction may not automatically prevent you from having a licence if the offence was unrelated to being a scrap metal dealer or a long time ago, and you can convince the council that you are a suitable person.

A basic disclosure certificate is considered to be valid for a limited time, but you can use this to apply to as many local authorities as you want within that time. Typically, one month is the longest that you can expect your check to be considered valid.

Apply for a basic disclosure check (GOV.UK) or call 03000 200 190 for more information.

You can also request information from the Police criminal records office by email: visit subject access request (

Within this section, we also ask for the place where you will store any collected scrap metal before taking it to a licensed site to dispose of it. This may be a licensed site that you operate in another council area.

Please note you are not allowed to sell or buy metal at this storage site and doing so is an offence. 

You will need to ensure that all your vehicles are roadworthy and are properly taxed, insured and otherwise meet the legal requirements to be on the road.

Motor salvage

This application now includes a question on whether you are acting as a motor salvage operator which means you now only need a scrap metal collector’s licence because the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 brings together the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 with Part 1 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001.

Bank accounts, payment, and criminal convictions

Under Section 12 of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013, cash cannot be used by any scrap metal dealer to buy or sell scrap metal. Only payment by a non-transferable cheque or an electronic transfer of funds will be acceptable, and this will mean that payments will be able to be linked to a readily available bank account. This is why we ask for the bank accounts that will be used for payments to suppliers. We ask this to check that you are not selling the metal for cash, which is illegal. These details will be kept securely by the council.

We ask you to provide any convictions of relevant offences or any enforcement action taken by the Environment Agency or Natural Resources Wales for each listed partner, listed director or listed site manager on your application.

Please note it is an offence under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 to make or recklessly make a false statement. The information you provide will be checked against the basic disclosure certificate from Disclosure Scotland which you submit with your application, along with information retained by the police and the Environment Agency or Natural Resources Wales.

Fees and charges

The fee for this licence is £280 which you can pay online or by cheque. Please note applications will not be accepted unless the correct fee has been paid.

The fee reflects the costs of processing the form and checking that licensing conditions are met (checking that people are doing what the licence requires).


The person who will hold the scrap metal dealer’s licence needs to sign and date the declaration, as do other people who may be named on the form. 

Last updated: ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2023‎ ‎15‎:‎50