Food hygiene advice for business


Our Environmental Health Commercial Officers are here to help you achieve a good standard of food hygiene. If you need advice on your food business please complete our Environmental Health contact form or call 01455 238141.

Do I need a licence?

You don't need to have a licence for your food business but you do need to register as a food business. There is no fee for this.

Starting up your food business

The Food Standards Agency has advice on starting a food business (

Better Business for All is a local partnership between businesses and regulators aimed at removing the regulatory barriers to growth and provides your business with a simple point of access to free advice on business regulations. For further information visit LLEP Business Gateway website ( or call 0871 3843185.

Food safety management

Food hygiene regulations require you to document how you manage food safety. To help you comply with these regulations the Food Standards Agency has a food safety management pack ( which is part of their Safer Food, Better Business (SFBB) guidance.

The SFBB pack and diary refills can be downloaded for free from the Food Standards Agency website ( Alternatively, you can contact us by calling 01455 238141 or complete our Environmental Health contact form to order a copy of the pack, which costs £15 or the diary refill which costs £10.

Food hygiene ratings scheme

We take part in the Food Standards Agency food hygiene ratings scheme. When you have registered your food business, you will be visited by one our Environmental Health Commercial Officers and your business will be given a food hygiene rating

Other useful websites which can give you further business advice are:

Last updated: ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2023‎ ‎11‎:‎20‎:‎18