The process for householders

Submitting your application

Find out how to submit your application and how to produce the necessary plans.

To apply for permission refer to submitting a planning application via the Planning Portal: applications (

  • Householder planning applications forms deal with house extensions, garages, erection of walls and fences to domestic properties or any other outbuilding within the boundary of your own property
  • Change of use applications can be submitted using a full planning consent form. These forms deal with the incorporation of land into your garden area
  • Listed building forms are for any works including extensions and alterations to a listed building
  • For demolition of buildings or parts of your property including walls within conservation areas you will require a demolition within a conservation form
  • If you are thinking of running a business from home, guidance can be found at planning applications – business
  • Works to protected trees or trees within a conservation area will require permission from the council. Information on trees managed by the council
  • For further guidance on trees and hedgerows
  • In some circumstances planning permission is required for dropped kerbs, in addition a domestic vehicle access permit is required from Leicestershire County Council Highways Department ( their contact telephone number is 0116 305 0001

To find out what documents/plans are required to accompany your application refer to our national and local requirements.

Last updated: 19/01/2023 09:11