The process for householders

How to carry out a self assessment

A set of self assessment forms have been developed for you to assess whether you require planning permission for your proposed development.

View our self assessment forms

You should complete a self assessment form, even if you are just replacing an extension or outbuilding, and base your answers on the proposed work taking place.

You are also advised, if not already known, to check whether permitted development rights have been removed.
Download a permitted development rights enquiry form (DOC)

If you answer 'yes' to any of the questions on the forms, or do not comply with any conditions, then you will need to submit a planning application. This can be submitted online through the Planning Portal (

Check to see if your property is in a conservation area, or if it is a listed building, or has had its permitted development rights removed.

If you want to receive written confirmation that planning permission is not required, then you will need to submit a certificate of lawful development

Last updated: 10/07/2017 08:10