The Stoke Golding conservation area, which was designated by the council in June 2004, was reviewed and appraised in September 2013. Further details and documents relating to this review are available on the appraisal and review page.
Stoke Golding dates from Saxon times and histories of the village show that the peak of its prosperity occurred during the 17th century. At this time, the village was self-contained with travel to Hinckley difficult and hazardous. The coming of the canal and the railway in the 18th century removed this isolation.
The Ashby Canal borders the conservation area to the north and west and linked Moira with the Coventry Canal to transport coal. The railway was opened in 1873 to link the Birmingham/Leicester line through Stoke Golding to Ashby.
The village is a ridge top settlement and the old core is still clearly defined.
There are a number of important listed and unlisted buildings of historical and architectural interest within the area which can be divided into four distinct areas of different character:
- The Victorian commercial heart of the village
- St Margaret's Church and Blacksmith's Yard
- Former farmhouses and their yards
- The area centred on the Old Swan public house and the former Methodist Chapel
The settlement can be seen from all approach roads to the village with the spire of St Margaret's church dominating the view.
Last updated: 12/01/2022 15:09