Council tax discounts for disabled people

Guidance notes

To qualify for this council tax reduction

A permanently disabled person who lives in the property needs one or more of the criteria below:

  • A room which is not a kitchen or bathroom which is mainly used by and required to meet the needs of the disabled resident. for example, for treatment therapy
  • A second kitchen or second bathroom required to meet the needs of the disabled resident
  • A wheelchair used indoors by the disabled resident

The extra room or space in the property must also be of major importance to the wellbeing of the disabled resident because of the nature and extent of their disability.

What reduction will I receive?

You will pay the same amount as if you were in a lower banded property. For example, if you live in a Band D property then you pay the equivalent of a Band C property. If you live in a Band A property then your bill is reduced by 1/9.

Who should complete the application form?

The person named on the bill.

What additional information do I need to supply with my application form?

None. However we will need to arrange for an internal inspection of the property to support your application.

What should I do about paying my council tax before my application has been assessed?

The bills previously issued to you must be regarded as correct and due for payment as requested.

What should I do if my circumstances change?

If the disabled person no longer has their main residence at this address please notify us, the council tax billing authority within 21 days of the change occurring.

Some kidney dialysis patients do stop needing dialysis if they have a kidney transplant. Therefore at this point please let us know the date that the disabled band reduction is no longer applicable.

When will my reduction start?

It will start from the date the circumstances of the person changed. For example, the date a room had been added/converted to meet the disabled person’s needs or when the disabled person first began using a wheelchair indoors.


We periodically review all our discounts.

What should I do if my application is rejected?

You may appeal against our decision by writing to us at:
The Leicestershire Partnership
Benefits Section
PO Box 10004
LE10 9EJ

Or complete our council tax contact form

If this is unsuccessful you will be advised as to how you can make a formal appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service

Further information

If you have any other queries regarding this discount please complete our council tax contact form or telephone us on 01455 238141.

Last updated: 14/02/2022 16:52