Council tax discounts for disabled people


If you, or someone who lives with you, needs a room or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet the needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced council tax bill.

For bands B to H, the bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown in the valuation list. For example, if you live in a band D property you will pay at a band C rate if the reduction is applied.

For band A dwellings, successful applicants would receive a 1/9 reduction.

To check your property banding please visit the Valuation Office website.

These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability.

The disabled person doesn't need to be over 18. 

For this discount, you need to meet at least one criteria from the list below:

  • A room: this should contain equipment that supports you with your disability
  • A second bathroom or kitchen: this can be an existing bathroom that has been adapted for your needs
  • Using a wheelchair indoors

If you think that one of these applies to you, please complete the form below.

Last updated: ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017‎ ‎09‎:‎54‎