The Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) is an evidence base document to inform the plan making process. The main role of the SHELAA is to:
- Identify sites and broad locations with potential for development
- Assess their development potential
- Assess their suitability for development and the likelihood of development coming forward (the availability and achievability)
It is not a decision-making document and it does not in itself determine whether or not a site should be granted planning permission or allocated for development. The document has been prepared in line with the Leicestershire authorities' joint methodology, and Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council’s own methodology which can be found below.
Overall, the purpose of the SHELAA is to form part of the evidence required for the Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Local Plan in line with national policy requirements.
The SHELAA 2020 has now been finalised and can be found below:
- SHELAA 2020 report (PDF)
- SHELAA 2020 appendix 1 overview maps part one - Bagworth to Higham on the Hill (PDF)
- SHELAA 2020 appendix 1 overview maps part two - Hinckley to Wykin Village (PDF)
- SHELAA 2020 appendix 2 housing summary (PDF)
- SHELAA 2020 appendix 3 employment summary (PDF)
- SHELAA 2020 appendix 4 leisure summary (PDF)
Please note that the overview maps in appendix 1 are in alphabetical order but have been split into part 1 and part 2.
Any sites submitted to the council after 30 September 2020 will not be assessed in this review period (2020). Any sites submitted after this date will be assessed for next year's SHELAA review (2021) but will still be considered within the Local Plan process. Please contact Planning Policy if you have any queries on this.
Methodology update September 2020
The methodology used to undertake the Strategic Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (SHELAA) was updated in September 2020 and can be viewed below, as well as the Leicester & Leicestershire joint methodology:
- SHELAA Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council methodology September 2020 (PDF)
- Leicester & Leicestershire housing market area HELAA methodology paper 2019 (PDF)
Call for sites
The purpose of the 'call for sites' is to provide an opportunity for anyone to submit a site to us for consideration for allocation and future development as part of the preparation of our local plan. This will help to ensure that sufficient land supply is available across the borough to meet our development needs.
Landowners and interested parties can put forward new sites within the borough that may have potential for housing and economic development.
Sites submitted between 1st October 2020 and 30 September 2021 will be assessed within the 2021 SHELAA review. Any sites submitted after 30 September 2021 will be assessed within future SHELAA reviews but will still be considered within the Local Plan process.
Before you suggest a site please read our SHELAA methodology (PDF)
If you think your site is suitable and you would like us to consider your site for allocation and future development as part of the preparation of our local plan, please complete our online form.
To suggest a new site, we ask for:
- Your details
- Landowner details
- Site details: potential uses and constraints
- Site location plan (site boundary identified by a red line)
- Plan identifying the extent of the brownfield proportion of the site (if the site is also to be considered for the brownfield register)
Alternatively, complete our planning policy and regeneration contact form to request a paper application form which you can complete and return to us.
Please note that the call for sites informs the SHELAA, which is an evidence base document to inform plan making. It is not a decision-making document and it does not in itself determine whether or not a site should be granted planning permission or allocated for development.
You might also be interested in:
Last updated: 22/10/2021 10:06