How to apply for a club premises certificate

Fees and how to apply


The relevant fee for the premises licence is based on the rateable value of the premises. The statutory fee structure is set by the government, not the local authority.

Fees payable depend on the non-domestic rateable value (NDRV) of the premises: this will be on your annual bill from council tax.

If you dispute the non-domestic rateable value of your property you must contact the Valuation Office Agency via their website below.

Find your NDRV on the Valuation Office Agency website (GOV.UK)

Under the Licensing Act 2003, the annual fee ( for licensed premises becomes payable each year on the anniversary of the date the licence was initially granted. The responsibility to pay the annual fee lies with the licence holder. We will send you an invoice every year for the annual fee which is also based on the rateable value of your premises.

NDRV bands:

  • Band A: 0 to £4,300
  • Band B: £4,301 to £33,000
  • Band C: £33,001 to £87,000
  • Band D: £87,001 to £125,000
  • Band E: £125,001 and over

Rateable value band followed by application fee and annual fee:

  • A: £100 and £70
  • B: £190 and £180
  • C: £315 and £295
  • D: £450 and £320
  • E: £635 and £350

Any premises where a licensable activity is carried out must be licensed. Otherwise, this will be an unauthorised activity which carries a £20,000 fine and/or up to six months in prison.

Refund policy

Unless otherwise stated, fees for all Licensing functions are payable on application.

All applications must be accompanied by the required application fee before the application will be accepted or administered.

The application fee is non-refundable. This includes those applications that are rejected (where we have started to process the application and have undertaken checks) as well as applications which are withdrawn, discontinued or have been refused by the Licensing Committee.

How to apply

You can apply online for a club premises certificate:

Apply for a club premises certificate

Alternatively we can send you an application form: Contact Licensing

Time period for the council to normally approve the application

Two months

What happens if your application is not processed by this council within the normal approved time period (tacit consent)?

It is in the public interest that this council must process the application, it may be required to consult other external agencies prior to making a decision. Therefore, should you not receive confirmation that your licence application has been granted or rejected within two months of submission, you may not commence your business.

If you have not heard from us in that time period please contact us using the form below.

Contact Licensing

Complaints concerning the process

 Any person who is refused a licence or objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local magistrates court.

Any change in circumstances:

If you wish to vary any licence condition or change premises or proprietor a fresh application will be required.

Last updated:‎ ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2024‎ ‎11‎:‎39‎