Housing service - feedback and issues

Making a formal complaint

You can make a formal complaint to the Democratic Services Officer who will initiate the following complaints process. 

Stage one

The Democratic Services Officer will refer your complaint to the line manager responsible for the service. The line manager will respond in writing within 10 working days, or will let you know when you can expect a reply. A copy of this response will be forwarded to the Democratic Services Officer. If you are not happy with the way your complaint has been handled, you may ask for it to be reviewed (see stage two below).

Stage two

A request for a review should be made to the Democratic Services Officer, preferably in writing or by email. At this stage, no additional information shall be submitted – if new information is submitted this will be regarded as a new complaint. Your complaint will be reviewed by an officer either senior to or independent of the officer who provided the response at stage one and you will receive a response within 10 working days, or be advised as to when you can expect a reply.

What if I am still dissatisfied?

You may wish to contact designated persons. These were introduced by the government to improve the chances of complaints about housing being resolved locally. A designated person can be an MP, a local councillor, or a tenant panel.

The Housing Ombudsman now deals with complaints about the provision of social housing by the council, for example: housing repairs, rents and tenancy management. The Local Authority Ombudsman still deals with complaints about housing options advice and anti-social behaviour that is not specific to social housing and our role as a landlord.

To make a formal complaint, please visit How to make a complaint or compliment.

Last updated: 01/11/2022 11:21