The Gambling Act 2005 - overview

What sort of licence will I need?

The Gambling Act 2005 introduced a system of three types of licence, backed up by a system of registrations and permissions for smaller events:

Operating Licence

This is issued by the Gambling Commission for the following 10 categories (or combinations)

  • Casino operator
  • Bingo operator
  • General betting operator
  • Pool betting operator
  • Betting intermediary operator
  • Gaming machine general operator (for adult gaming centres)
  • Gaming machine general operator (for family entertainment centres)
  • Gaming machine technical operator (for construction and installation)
  • Gambling software operator
  • Lottery operator

The Gambling Act enables the Gambling Commission to add conditions to an Operating Licence where appropriate.

An Operating Licence lasts indefinitely, subject to:

  • Gambling Commission powers to limit
  • Surrender
  • Lapse
  • Forfeiture
  • Review (suspension or revocation)

Personal licence

This is also issued by the Gambling Commission, and is required for anyone involved in the management or operation of:

  • The provision of facilities for gambling
  • A person who provides facilities for gambling

This includes:

  • Management (director/partner)
  • Anyone who influences the outcome of gambling
  • Anyone who receives or pays out money
  • Anyone involved in the manufacture, supply or installation of gaming machines

A personal licence lasts indefinitely subject to the surrender, lapse, forfeiture, review and disqualification.

Premises licence

These are issued by the relevant local authority, such as HBBC, subject to the following:

  • Applicant must hold (or have applied for) the relevant operating licence
  • Applicant must have the right to occupy the premises
  • Receipt of complete application, and correct fee
  • Compliance with statutory notices

More on premises licences

Last updated:‎ ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2021‎ ‎11‎:‎08‎