Housing benefit and council tax support - change in circumstances

What kind of changes do I need to tell you about?

Below are examples of the types of changes you should tell us about. Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.

Changes in benefits

Maybe you or your partner stops receiving:

  • Income support
  • Jobseekers allowance
  • Earnings support allowance
  • Any other benefit

Changes in your income

Maybe there is a change in your or your partner's:

  • Wages
  • Tax credits
  • Maintenance
  • Pension
  • Any other income

People who live with you

  • Anyone comes to live with you or moves out
  • Someone who lives with you starts or stops work
  • There is a change in the income of someone who lives with you
  • A child is born
  • A child leaves school

Bank accounts, savings and investments

You must tell us if there are any changes in your:

  • Bank accounts
  • Savings
  • Other investments

However you do not need to tell us about day-to-day changes to your current account or value of shares on the stock market.

Private rents

You must tell us if:

  • Your landlord increases or decreases the rent
  • The services included in your rent change
  • The part of the property that you live in changes

Other changes

You must tell us if you:

  • Move
  • Live away from home
  • Go into hospital
  • Become a student or finish a course
  • Go to prison
  • Have a partner, including a partner of the same sex, whether or not your partnership has been registered in a civil partnership ceremony
  • A member of your household has passed away

Please note that the above does not cover all changes you must tell us about. If you are unsure whether a change in your circumstances will affect your claim, please use the contact form below and we can advise you.

Please do not leave it until the next time that you fill in a claim form or come into the offices, as you may be overpaid money that you will need to pay back.

You might also find helpful:

Last updated: ‎03/02/2023 08:47