Electoral registration canvasser
About the annual canvass
Every year, we are required to check that the information we hold on the Register of Electors is correct in preparation for the publication of the revised register on 1 December.
We send a household enquiry form to every property in the Hinckley & Bosworth Area and require a response by law. This takes place in three stages, typically between July and November:
- Stage one: Initial delivery of forms by canvassers
- Stage two: Royal Mail delivery of reminders
- Stage three: Personal visits by canvassers
Electoral registration canvassers are a vital part of the registration process, ensuring that the information collected during the annual canvass is compiled as accurately and completely as possible. Canvassers will be responsible for an area in the borough, a 'canvass area', and will be required to make deliveries and visits to properties in that area.
Canvassers are the public face of the Electoral Registration Office; therefore good customer service skills and a polite demeanour are necessary. A short briefing will be given at stage one and full training will be provided at stage three.
Stage one duties:
- Collect and deliver initial forms to all properties in the canvass area
- Report on any new properties or changes in the area
Stage three duties:
- Attend mandatory training
- Make personal visits to all properties who have not yet responded to the Household Enquiry Form
- Encourage occupiers who are not registered to vote, to do so
- Ensure that electors who are no longer living at an address are reported in preparation for removal
- Ensure that as many occupiers as possible are aware of the registration process
- Complete electronic forms with occupiers using hand-held tablets or paper forms
- Assist electors in their understanding of the registration process and in the completion of forms
How to apply
We are currently looking for staff for this year’s canvass as there may be vacant rounds. Canvass vacancies are offered on a first-come, first-serve basis. So if you would like to get involved, please contact us as soon as possible.
If you are interested, please complete our online form. You can do this at any time of the year.
- Which area(s) you are interested in
- Your name
- Your address
- Your contact details (email address, telephone number)
Last updated: 01/11/2019 08:04