Getting help if you are homeless

The legal bit

The Homelessness Reductions Act 2017 requires Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council to provide a homelessness advisory service to any person in the borough. The following advice is for people actually in the Hinckley & Bosworth borough. If you are from outside of the borough, please contact your own council for homelessness advisory services (s179(1) Housing Act 1996 as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017).

The Homelessness Advisory Service in this borough is called Housing Options. The Housing Options Team will offer to undertake an assessment and produce a plan if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

The rights of persons who are homeless or threatened with homelessness are outlined in the Housing Act 1996, the Homelessness Act 2002 and the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 - in addition to secondary legislation passed by the relevant Secretary of State with the powers conferred by the aforementioned acts, and those derived though precedents made by judges in certain courts.

Should you live outside of the borough and wish to make a homelessness application to Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council, as opposed to seeking homelessness advisory services from your council, then please contact us.

Our team of experienced housing options officers tailor their advice to ensure that people in the special categories have their needs met specifically as required by s179(2) Housing Act 1996 as amended by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017.

Please be aware that by contacting us, your details will be recorded on a computer system to better help us help you. The government requires us to send them information on a regular basis that will include your personal data. Please be assured that this is done securely.

Last updated: 24/05/2022 08:56