How to claim housing benefit

How to apply:

  1. You will need to complete a claim form. You can download the form from this page (PDF) or get a paper copy from the council offices. Please note that we will not need you to complete two claim forms if you want to claim help with your council tax (council tax support) and help with your rent (housing benefit) as the form covers both benefits
  2. You will need to provide proof of your (and your partner's, if applicable) identity and of your income and capital/savings with your claim form. If you have other adults living in the property you will also need to provide proof of their income and capital/savings. You can provide it with your form or up to a month after you submit your claim. Documents we need to assess your claim
  3. If you are a private tenant we can pay your benefit directly into your bank account. To enable us to do this, you will need to state on your claim form which account you would like it to be paid into. Get benefit paid into your bank account
  4. If you wanted to claim housing benefit before but were unable to because a circumstance may have stopped you, you can ask for your benefit to be backdated on your claim form. Please note that we can only consider this if you can show that you had a 'good cause' as to why you did not claim earlier. Get your benefit backdated
  5. Once your claim has been assessed we will write to you to confirm whether you are entitled to help with your rent and council tax and, if so, how much we will pay every week

If you need help completing your form you can phone the Benefits Team for advice or visit our customer services desk. If you have restricted mobility please phone us on the contact details below so that we can arrange to visit you at your home.

Can you speak to anyone else about my claim?

Due to data protection we cannot discuss your claim with anyone else other than you unless they are your appointee or they have power of attorney for you. However, we can speak to a person about your claim if you give consent for us to speak to them and you are present with that person.

Last updated: ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019‎ ‎10‎:‎30‎