How to apply
During the coronavirus pandemic, there are changes to how customers claim housing benefit and council tax support, please read this information and check your eligibility by using the benefit calculator before you complete your claim.
- You will need to complete our e-claim form below. Please note that we will not need you to complete two claim forms if you want to claim help with your council tax (council tax support) and help with your rent (housing benefit) as the form covers both benefits
- You will need to provide proof of your (and your partner's, if applicable) identity and of your income and capital/savings. If you have other adults living in the property you will also need to provide proof of their income and capital/savings. You can provide this information up to a month after you submit your claim: Documents we need to assess your claim
- If you are a private tenant we can pay your benefit directly into your bank account. To enable us to do this, you will need to state on the e-claim form which account you would like it to be paid into: Get benefit paid into your bank account
- If you wanted to claim housing benefit before but were unable to because a circumstance may have stopped you, you can ask for your benefit to be backdated on the e-claim form. Please note that we can only consider this if you can show that you had a 'good cause' as to why you did not claim earlier: Get your benefit backdated
- Once your claim has been assessed we will write to you to confirm whether you are entitled to help with your rent and council tax and, if so, how much we will pay every week
If you need help completing your form you can phone the Benefits Team for advice. Please note that you are not able to visit our customer services desk and we are not able to visit customers to help them complete their claim forms due to the coronavirus pandemic. If you need help with your form please contact us and we will complete the form over the phone.
Make a claim
Can you speak to anyone else about my claim?
Due to data protection, we cannot discuss your claim with anyone else other than you unless they are your appointee or they have power of attorney for you. However, we can speak to a person about your claim if you give consent for us to speak to them and you are present with that person.
Last updated: 11/05/2021, 12:33