Our data protection privacy notice
When we use your personal data, Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council is what we call the data controller.
As the data controller, we must:
- Only keep your data that we need to provide services and do what the law says we must
- Keep your records safe and accurate
- Only keep your data as long as we have to
- Collect, store and use your data in a way that does not break any data protection laws
Things you can do to help us:
- Tell us when any of your details change
- Tell us if any of the information we hold on you is wrong
What is personal data?
Personal data is information about a living person that means we can work out who they are such as name, address, telephone number, date of birth, bank details. This can include written letters, emails, photographs, audio recordings and video recordings.
Some data is called special category data which is more sensitive, and we have to look after it more carefully. This includes details of ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, trade union membership, health data, and biometric (for example: fingerprints, facial recognition) and genetic (for example: DNA) data.
Why we collect and store personal data
For some of our services, we need to use your personal data so we can get in touch, or provide the service. We can use your personal data under many different laws. The main ones for the council are the Local Government Acts and the Localism Act 2011, but there are hundreds more.
The Government put together a list of all of these in 2011 which can be found on the following website:
Some of these laws may have been updated since then, and new ones added. You can see lots more detail about how our services use your data and why, on our privacy notices by service page
In many cases, there is a law that says we must or we can process your data and we can do so without your consent or permission.
Where we do not directly provide the service, we may need to pass your personal data onto the organisations that do. These providers are under contract and have to keep your details safe and secure, and use them only to provide the service. You can find our list of contracts that shows the companies we deal with:
Using your personal data
We will use your data to:
- Provide council services and anything we must do by law
- Carry out our regulatory, licensing and enforcement roles which we have to do by law
- Make payments, grants and benefits and spot fraud
- Listen to your ideas about council services
- Tell you about council services
Joined-up services within the council
We share your data between services within the council so that we can keep our information on you as up-to-date as possible and so that we can improve our services to you. For example, if you tell the housing team you have moved, they will pass this information on to other parts of the council such as the council tax team. Staff can only see your data if they need it to do their job.
Changes to this privacy notice
We keep our privacy notice under regular review. This privacy notice is version 14 and was last updated on 16 August 2022.
Contact our Data Protection officer:
- Online: complete our contact form
- Phone: 01455 238141
Last updated: 16/08/2022 15:03