A single parent claiming child benefit

How to apply

If your child who is over 18 is living with you and you are still receiving child benefit for this child whilst they are still in full-time education, you may be entitled to a 25% council tax discount.

You will need to prove that you are in receipt of child benefit.

This discount will continue until the 1 November of the year that the child leaves college or school. (The child will have to stay at school until 30 April of the same year to qualify for this discount.)

Before you apply

Read our guidance notes council tax discount (child benefit)

If you think that you qualify for a council tax discount because you receive child benefit, please complete our online form:

Apply for a council tax discount (child benefit)

Alternatively, complete our council tax contact form to request a paper application form which you can complete and return to us.

Please note that when you apply for this discount we need the letter you will have received from the Department of Work and Pensions (you can upload this when you apply online).

Last updated: 15/03/2022 09:42