Council tax support

What is council tax support?

Council tax support (also known as council tax reduction) is a discount to help with your council tax if you are on a low income.

What is the council tax support scheme?

The council tax support scheme is a local system of help for people on a low income who pay council tax.

If you're working age you can get a discount of up to 88% of your bill, and pensioners can get up to 100% discount.

Who can claim council tax support?

You can claim council tax support if you are liable to pay the council tax on the property you live in, and you (and your partner, if applicable) are on a low income. It does not depend on national insurance contributions and you can apply if you are working, either for an employer or if you are self-employed.

If you are a pensioner and are not entitled to council tax support but have another adult (or adults) on a low income living with you, you may be able to claim second adult rebate

Who cannot get council tax support?

  • You are not the person liable to pay council tax
  • If you have savings of over £16,000 (unless you also get guarantee pension credit)
  • If you own a property and no one lives in it

Last updated: ‎25/04/2024 07:58