Council tax support appeals and disputes

Ask for a council tax support decision to be looked at again

If you disagree with a decision made on your council tax support claim, you can ask for it to be explained to you or to be looked at again.

Unfortunately, it is unlikely that the decision will be changed if your council tax support has been awarded correctly according to the local scheme.

For example, the decision will not be changed if you are of working age and disagree that you are no longer entitled to a 100% discount. The maximum amount of council tax reduction that the council can give you under the local council tax support scheme is 88% so we will not be able to increase this amount.

However, you can challenge the amount of council tax you have to pay for any of the reasons below:

  • You think that, under the rules of the local council tax support scheme, the council should have given you a reduction on the council tax you have to pay but it has not done this
  • You think that the amount of reduction the council has given you under its local scheme is incorrect
  • You think that a decision on your application for a discretionary discount fund payment is wrong

If you would like to challenge a decision, you can complete our dispute form online or request a paper form to be sent to you.

When you dispute a council tax support decision we will ask for:

  • Your claim reference number
  • Your contact details
  • The address your dispute relates to (if different from your current address)
  • Date of your decision letter
  • Reason for disagreeing with our decision
  • Any supporting evidence (you can upload this evidence in the online form)

You can dispute your decision online:

Dispute your council tax support decision

Alternatively, complete our benefits contact form to request a paper application form which you can complete and return to us.

If you need to dispute a housing benefit decision, please go to housing benefit appeals and disputes

Last updated: 14/07/2023 13:07