Fees and how to apply
The fee for a personal licence application is £37.
This is not refundable if the application is withdrawn or is unsuccessful.
There are different application requirements depending on individual circumstances. In view of this, it is important that you read the personal licence guidance notes before you apply, whether you use an application form or apply online.
You can apply online for a personal licence.
Alternatively download the form
Download the Personal licence application form (PDF) and return it to the address provided.
Disclosures and declaration
You will have to complete a disclosures and declaration form as part of your application for a personal licence.
Checklist of what you need to provide with your application
The following original documents are required when applying for a personal licence:
- Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders - this is a one day course with a multiple choice exam. The qualification must be attained
- Basic Disclosure - this is a criminal conviction search carried out on the police national computer by the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). It can take two to three weeks for a disclosure search to be returned. Apply online for a basic disclosure (GOV.UK) or call 0300 020 0190. (Note: The disclosure search must be no older than one month from its issue date when you apply)
- Two passport size photographs - one of the photographs must be endorsed as a true likeliness of the applicant by a solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or an individual with a professional qualification. View a list of professions who are acceptable to countersignature a personal licence photograph
- Disclosure of convictions and declaration - any relevant convictions or foreign offences, as detailed in Schedule 4 and Section 113 of the Licensing Act 2003, must be declared on this form. Please ensure the form is signed and dated
- Application for a personal licence - please complete the form in full and ensure all the items on the checklist are present
Your original documents will be returned with your personal licence.
Last updated: 07/02/2018 17:30:58