How to apply for a premises licence

Licence summary and objectives

If you want to hold licensable activities on any premises or land, you must apply for a premises licence. The premises licence is granted for the life of the premises, unless the licence:

  • Lapses
  • Is surrendered
  • Is revoked at a review hearing

The premises licence holder must pay an annual fee to the licensing authority for the licence.

Any person aged 18 years or over who is carrying on or proposes to carry on a business that involves the use of the premises for licensable activities can apply for a premises licence, for example, a tenant, property owner or a limited company.

Licensable activities

The following activities are required to be licensed:

  • The retail sale of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club to a member of the club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment

The licensing objectives

 The four licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

Equal weight is given to all four licensing objectives and applicants for a premises licence must seek to secure the promotion of those licensing objectives throughout the licensing process.

Guidance booklet

A guidance booklet is available to help future licensees apply for a premises licence and provide guidance to you on how to promote the licensing objectives and work with the responsible authorities. If you would like a copy of this please contact us on 01455 238141 or complete our contact form, we can either email or post the booklet to you.

Will I need a music licence?

Applicants for premises licences are reminded that, if there is any regulated entertainment to take place in the form of live or recorded music, then there will probably be the need to hold the appropriate licence from the Performing Right Society (, tel: 0845 300 6033 and also the Phonographic Performance Ltd (, tel 020 7534 1000. The same requirements may also apply to applicants for temporary events notices, where there is to be music provided. 

Last updated:‎ ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2019‎ 14:18