Sunday 21 July

Due to maintenance, the facility to pay online and our online application forms where we take a payment will be unavailable for two hours from 4:30am to 6:30am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

How to apply for a premises licence

Licence summary

If you want to hold licensable activities on any premises or land, you must apply for a premises licence.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, licensable activities are defined as:

  • The sale by retail of alcohol
  • The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club
  • The provision of regulated entertainment
  • The provision of late night refreshment

The premises licence is granted for the life of the premises, unless the licence:

  • Lapses
  • Is surrendered
  • Is revoked at a review hearing

The premises licence holder must pay an annual fee to the licensing authority for the licence.

Any person aged 18 years or over who is carrying on or proposes to carry on a business that involves the use of the premises for licensable activities can apply for a premises licence, for example, a tenant, property owner or a limited company.

The licensing objectives

As part of the application, you must consider equally the licensing objectives and how you will promote them throughout the licensing process.

The four licensing objectives are:

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm


For guidance on how to fill in the application form, visit premises licence guidance (GOV.UK). If you have any questions about making an application: contact Licensing

Will I need a music licence?

Applicants for a premises licence are reminded that if there is any regulated entertainment to take place in the form of live or recorded music, then there will probably be the need to hold the appropriate licence. A single licence, called the music licence, is available to play or perform music in public from PPL PRS Ltd (

The same requirements may also apply to applicants for temporary events notices, where there is to be music provided. 

Last updated: ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2024‎ ‎14‎:‎37‎