When we can help
What are the special cases when housing benefit and council tax support can be paid for up to 52 weeks?
If you are away from home for any of the following reasons, we may be able to pay housing benefit and council tax support for up to 52 weeks, as long as at the outset it appears that you will not be away for more than 52 weeks:
- A prisoner on remand
- Having medical treatment or medically approved convalescence, but you are not in residential care
- On an approved training course
- Providing medically approved care*
- Caring for a child whose parent or guardian is receiving medical treatment or medically approved care*
- Receiving medically approved care*, but you are not in residential care
- Certain students who are entitled to housing benefit
- Away due to fear of violence
- Receiving temporary care in residential care, but not if you are living there as a trial
*Medically approved care must be certified by a medical practitioner (for example your doctor or a nurse).
Last updated: 21/01/2019 10:31