Help whilst away from home

When we can help

Normally, housing benefit and council tax support can only be paid if you are actually living in the property for which you are claiming benefit.

We may still be able to pay housing benefit and council tax support if you leave your home and you still have a rental and/or council tax liability for the property. However, you must have an intention to return to the home.

During the time that you are away from the property, you cannot let or sublet your home.

Different help is available depending on whether you are:

  • Absent from home and in Great Britain
  • Absent from home and outside of Great Britain

Last updated: ‎11/01/2024 09:34