Universal credit

How universal credit is paid

If you receive help with your housing costs, this will be included in your universal credit payment and will be called a 'housing element'.

Universal credit is paid into a bank account, building society or credit union account of your choice every month. Therefore, it is really important to make sure that you have a basic bank account otherwise it will not be easy to make a payment to you.

More information on how to apply for a basic bank account (moneyadviceservice.org.uk)

You will then need to pay the housing element to your landlord otherwise your rent account will go into arrears.

Once universal credit has been awarded, you can check on your payments and updates through your online account.

Last updated: 11/01/2024 09:29