Sunday 21 July

Due to maintenance, the facility to pay online and our online application forms where we take a payment will be unavailable for two hours from 4:30am to 6:30am. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Housing benefit - advice before you apply


Housing benefit

Housing benefit is a means tested benefit. This means that we will look at your income, savings and capital and the savings and capital of any other people that live with you. You do not need to be in receipt of a particular type of income to claim; we are able to look at a wide range of circumstances.

Rent allowance is paid to tenants in the private sector, and rent rebate is paid to tenants of local authorities (council tenants).

Universal credit

If you are of working age, universal credit is now the benefit to claim to get help with your rent.

Other circumstances

If you are of pensionable age or living in supported accommodation or specified accommodation (such as a hostel) you can still get help with your rent by applying for housing benefit.

Last updated: 11/07/2024 11:24