Maintenance due to annual billing

The facility to manage business rates will be unavailable 20 to 26 February. The facility to manage council tax and benefits will be unavailable 22 to 26 February. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Housing benefit - advice before you apply

How we calculate your rent

We must consider whether the rent you pay is a reasonable amount. We are required by law to refer the above cases to the Rent Service. The Rent Service will make a rent determination. This amount will be the maximum amount of housing benefit we can pay you. This applies when:

  • You are renting from a charitable organisation that provides support
  • You are living in a caravan, houseboat, mobile home or hostel 
  • You are living in board and attendance accommodation
  • Your tenancy started before 7 April 2008

Factors that are taken into consideration when making a rent determination include:

  • The location of your home
  • Whether the property has been adapted (if you have any disabilities)
  • If the size of your home reflects your needs

If you are not in the list above, your rent will not be referred to the Rent Service and you will be considered under the local housing allowance scheme

If you are a tenant of a registered social landlord (housing association) we will only refer your rent to the Rent Service if we consider that the rent you are charged is excessive.

If you have had a tenancy that began before 1989, your rent would usually be registered with the Rent Service and that decision would last for two years.

Will I get help towards my service charges?

Housing benefit will not be paid towards any part included in your rent for service charges such as gas, electricity, water, heating and lighting. We will deduct any amounts for these charges from your rent before we calculate your entitlement.  

Last updated: ‎14/07/2023 13:06