Housing benefit - advice before you apply

When you can't apply

Sometimes you will not be able to claim housing benefit. This could be because:

  • Your savings are over £16,000 (unless you are in receipt of guarantee credit)
  • You are not liable to pay rent
  • You live in a care home
  • You pay rent to a close relative and you live in the same property as them
  • You rent a former joint home from your ex-partner
  • You are the parent or guardian of your landlord's child
  • You occupy your home as part of your job
  • You are receiving universal credit and claiming housing costs from the Department for Works and Pensions
  • You are of working age and your partner is of pensionable age and you have become a couple after the 15 May 2019, you will need to claim universal credit

Last updated: ‎14/07/2023 13:05