Housing benefit - advice before you apply

How housing benefit is paid

We will send you a notification letter explaining our decision, the amount that you are entitled to and how we have worked this out.

If you are a council tenant, your benefit will go straight to your housing rent account. The weekly amount that you are entitled to will show on your rent account each week.

If you are renting in the private sector and are entitled to benefit, we will usually pay you and it is usually paid in arrears.

Housing benefit is normally made either:

  • Fortnightly in arrears directly into your bank account. You will need to complete the payment mandate form below. If you do not already have a bank account please make arrangements to open one. If you are unable to open a current account due to your credit history, you can open a basic bank account fee-free basic bank accounts (moneyhelper.org.uk)
  • Four-weekly in arrears directly into your landlord's bank account. Your landlord will need to complete our payment mandate form below.

Complete payment mandate

Please note that we can only pay your landlord if you come under the following circumstances:

  • You are a tenant of a registered social landlord (housing association)
  • You have a tenancy that began before 1989
  • You are renting from a charitable organisation that provides support
  • You are living in a caravan, houseboat, mobile home or hostel
  • You are living in board and attendance
  • You are classed as 'vulnerable' under the safeguard policy - please contact us if you would like to receive more information on this

Last updated:‎ ‎14/07/2023 13:06