Bin collections - bad weather

Update on changes to collections

Housing benefit advice

Who can apply for housing benefit

Housing benefit helps you towards the cost of your rent. Rent allowance is paid to tenants in the private sector, and rent rebate is provided for tenants of local authorities (council tenants).

Housing benefit is a means tested benefit. This means that we will look at your income, savings and capital and the savings and capital of any other people that live with you. You do not need to be in receipt of a particular type of income to claim; we are able to look at a wide range of circumstances. If you have a low income or receive any benefits from the Department for Works and Pensions, then you should apply.

Sometimes you will not be able to claim housing benefit. This could be because:

  • Your savings are over £16,000 (unless you are in receipt of guarantee credit)
  • You are not liable to pay rent
  • You live in a care home
  • You pay rent to a close relative and you live in the same property as them
  • You rent a former joint home from your ex-partner
  • You are the parent or guardian of your landlord's child
  • You occupy your home as part of your job
  • You are receiving Universal credit and claiming housing costs from the Department for Works and Pensions

Last updated: 20/02/2017 11:16