Overview of council tax bills 2024 to 2025

The answer to some of your council tax questions

To help our customers, we have compiled a list of the most frequently asked questions.

I want to set up a direct debit to pay my council tax

Please call customer services on 01455 238141 who will arrange this without the need to complete any paperwork. Alternatively, you can set up your direct debit for council tax online

My bill states I pay by direct debit - do I need to do anything?

No, the payments will be automatically taken from your bank account on the dates shown on your bill.

I have received a council tax bill and I don't understand why the amounts have changed

There may be various reasons why the amounts have changed. For example, your entitlement to a discount or council tax support may be different or the amounts levied by the County Council, the fire authority, the police or parish councils may have increased. If it is not clear from your bill, please contact Customer Services on 01455 238141.

I thought the council tax wasn't increasing but mine has. Why has this happened?

Hinckley & Bosworth Borough Council has increased its part of your council tax bill.

Additionally, Leicestershire Police has increased their precept (the amount) by 4.8% and Leicestershire and Rutland Combined Fire Authority has each increased their element of the charge by 3%. Leicestershire County Council has increased their charge by 5%. This includes a 2% increase to fund adult social care. The government has prescribed in law how the adult social care precept is to be shown on your council tax bill. The amount shown is the cumulative amount raised for adult social care in 2016/17, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21, 2022/23, 2023/24 and 2024/25.

In addition, your entitlement to a discount or council tax support may have changed, which will affect the amount payable.

My bill says I'm in a special expense area. What does that mean?

An urban area like Hinckley does not have a parish or town council, so the Borough Council takes on the services they usually provide and residents in these areas pay 'special expenses' to the Borough Council. Residents in other areas of the borough pay their Parish Council for these services.

I want to let you know about a change of address/change in occupancy

Tell us about your change of address or call customer services on 01455 238141.

I want to let you know that the number of adults living in my property has changed

Tell us about your change of circumstances or call customer services on 01455 238141.

I am struggling to pay my rent and/or council tax and wonder if I can get any help towards it.

To reduce your council tax, you may be entitled to:

To further reduce your council tax/to cover all or part of any shortfall in your rent, you may also be able to apply for:

 If you prefer to speak to someone about this call customer services on 01455 238141.

What is an 'applicable amount'?

An applicable amount is a weekly figure set by the government and represents the basic living needs of the customer and family. All authorities will use this amount when calculating entitlement to benefit.

I have received my award letter and the amount of savings (capital) quoted is different to the amount I now have in my account(s).

The figures used in the calculation will be based upon the amount of savings you had when you last applied. If you are of working age, any savings you have that are below £6,000 will not be taken into account when assessing entitlement. This figure is £10,000 for pensioners.

The state retirement pension/welfare benefit amount shown on my award is not quite what I receive.

Most Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) benefits are increased by a certain percentage each year which we work out for the new financial year. If your figure is not accurate, please bring in or send in your pension/benefit award letter so we can adjust the amount if it is required.

Last updated: 28/02/2024 12:30